Monday, February 5, 2018

Everybody's Working for the Weekend!

As a parent, I have to say that weekends lose all of the romanticized notions they develop during your adolescent and young adult years.  No longer are you left to your own devices to wake up according to your natural body clock;  I have five clocks besides my own (seven if you count the dogs) that control my schedule.  Fortunately for me, two of those individuals ARE teenagers and we have an understanding; they don't bug me and I don't bug them.  My boys, on the other hand, are no respecters of my schedule.  Weekends are the time to get stuff done.  It's normally the time that Matt is home and that we don't have much to contend with other than some time at my job at Willow.  Truth be told, there's are good things and bad things about that; many times I would rather be home, but it's also good for the kids and Matt have to spend some together.  Honestly, I think the kids appreciate me more after a day home with Dad.... not because he's bad, but just because he's different.


If I'm talking about my perfect weekend, it would involve waking and sleeping at my leisure and being able to do the things that I want to do.  I could clean my craft room, straighten up my bedroom, do some laundry and maybe do a little grocery shopping.  As I get older, I find that I would prefer to conduct my entire weekend in pajamas, although going to the grocery store sans bra is generally frowned up.  My perfect Saturday would probably have to involve the paring back of my kids schedule... meaning they're in before 2 am and I don't have to provide any rides.



Matt and I would end the night either at a movie or watching an episode of something we'd like in bed without the boys or dogs hanging around.


Sunday is church and no outings.  I can handle the church thing.... it's mostly good, although spending time with everyone else's kids can take it out of you.  But usually, it's a good day for a nap when you have early church.  The only downside of Sunday and Sabbath observance is the fact that my options for Diet Coke become much more limited.  I won't say that I haven't been known to sneak out for a fountain drink, but I will say that it's a bit of a bummer that it has turned into that much of an event for me that I would miss it that much.  For some reason, the cans just aren't the same.


Sunday's at our house also include any number of sandwiches after church; cheese, tuna or some such combination of other ingredients mined from the fridge.  These are often accompanied by chips and salsa or guacamole.  I have no desire for a big dinner or the dishes that accompany it.... unless it's at someone else's house; then I'll travel for sure.



Sunday night would also end about 8:30.  Maybe some TV, maybe a book.... I'm wildly exciting, I know.


No comments: